SPH investors must be wondering what the hell is happening to SPH share price. For the last couple of years, SPH share price had an astonishing correction, falling from a mighty high of $4.00 in 2016 to the current $2.45 level. It appears to me that FY2018 had been a watershed year which saw SPH recording revenue that fell below the critical $1 billion. That killer blow sent SPH share price reeling to the rock bottom.
Given that SPH share price is in a state of disarray, will the recent takeover of M1 turn the tide for SPH? Should investors run for their lives or buy on the dip?
SPH share price in coma
Looking back, it is not difficult to determine the reason for the bearish SPH share price as revenue continuously fell from $1.17 billion in FY2015 to $982 million in FY2018. Even the change of CEO in FY2017 did not manage to halt the decline in business fundamentals nor revive the ailing SPH share price performance. The rot continued for SPH share price and apparently, the management has not found a way to get out of the rut.
At times, SPH did look like a lost boy in the jungle as it struggled to fight gravity and find its way out of the maze. Its several attempts to diversify revenue source do smell like borderline desperation as some of its acquisitions had been outright bizarre buys that do not really fit in with their core businesses. Notable strange investments were the UK student housing business, pre-school centre (MindChamps) and an old folk home (Orange Valley).
Understandably, the new businesses are part of SPH’s transformation initiatives and I do not expect them to yield profits in the medium term. But what is puzzling to note is that the acquisitions did not improve revenue at all. Instead, revenue kept falling off the cliff. It seems that the destruction in its core media business has offset the revenue income from its non-core businesses. And this is very worrying indeed for the media conglomerate. No wonder SPH share price had been bearish in recent years. The financial result simply speaks for itself.
Can M1 revive SPH share price?
Apart from its Property segment, the other new businesses hardly change the game for SPH. However, in M1, SPH should see a [This is a premium article. The rest of the content is blocked and can be accessible by SG Wealth Builder Members only. To read the full content, please sign up as member.]
In a bid to raise financial literacy and reward SG Wealth Builder members, I am pleased to launch the Best SGX stock research campaign. Winner of this contest gets to receive cash prize of $1000!
The rationale for launching this activity is to level the playing field for retail investors, who often lack access to quality SGX stock research, especially homegrown SME stocks. Through this SGX stock research campaign, I hope to raise interest in SGX stocks among local investors, and at the same time, encourage members to share ideas and showcase their analytic skills. The winning entry will be published in this blog for learning purposes.
The winning SGX stock research article must cover a stock that is listed in Singapore Exchange (SGX) and should be engaging and interesting to read. From a story-telling perspective, you can share your best or worst SGX stock investments and what valuable lessons that can be gleaned. Ideally, the article should also contain data to back up the thesis and provides insightful analysis.
Winning prize: $1000
- This campaign is open to existing SG Wealth Builder Members only. If you are not a member, please sign up here. Email subscribers are not eligible.
- Each SG Wealth Builder member is entitled to submit one article only.
- Each article must be at least 1000 words in Microsoft Word document. Must not be published at any platform before. Any article found plagiarism would be automatically disqualified. You do not need to provide infographic or images but if you do, they must carry the applicable licenses.
- Email your submission to [email protected] from 1 April 2019 to 31 May 2019. Late submission will not be entertained.
- In your document submission, you must provide your member userid or email address.
- The winning entry will be announced on 7 June 2019 and the winner will be notified through email. He/she must give the consent for the article to be published in this blog in order to receive the cash prize.
- In the event of a lack of quality submissions, there may be no winner. However, under such circumstances, consolation prizes may be given for entries that do not meet the evaluation criteria.
Not a member yet? You may sign up to become a member of SG Wealth Builder. The full benefits and privileges of SG Wealth Builder Membership:
- Access to the latest premium articles of SG Wealth Builder
- Email notifications of latest blog articles
- Participate in SG Wealth Builder campaigns
- Request for coverage on stocks, insurance and other personal financial topics
- Comment in articles and Wealth Forum
SG Wealth Builder Membership
You may sign up for the SG Wealth Builder Membership for only $15 per month. As a member, you can access all the articles, including the premium ones.
Note: After payment is made, you will be prompted with registration form to create your user-id and personal password.